So, I love the SaxMute One, but it was driving me crazy!
You see the thing is, it keeps falling apart. If you own one of these you might know what I mean.
About Saxophone Mutes
I went on a journey a few weeks back to find a saxophone mute that would let me play anytime without driving everyone else in my house crazy ( a big issue during lockdown here in the UK!). Check out my saxophone mute comparison here.
The SaxMute One seemed to be the right choice for me – not crazy expensive and, although it’s a pretty ugly beast, it does actually WORK!
However I discovered a problem after using the mute for a week or so. It kept coming apart!
Not ideal and really it made the mute pretty frustrating to use. So this week I set to and did an UPGRADE to fix this problem.
I bought some spring-loaded clips from Amazon, and some small bolts. These were super-cheap to buy. I wanted to fix two clips to each side of the SaxMute One to fasten it together.
The problem is that the SaxMute One is very curvy so the clips didn’t fasten on easily. My solution was to design two small blocks using my 3D printer t fit the clips, with curves to match the shape of the SaxMute. I’ve shared the STL file to 3D print the mounting blocks below.
I drilled through the SaxMute and fitted the clips to the outside.
Inside the SaxMute I pulled the foam lining back a little so I could fasten the nut onto the bolt – and it’s done!
I’m pleased with the result – it looks neat and it works really well. Now I can get back to practicing without worrying about the SaxMute coming apart.
Apart from this issue, I really like the SaxMute. It allows me to practice any time and it sounds okay.
Let me know if you’ve got a SaxMute One and if you’ve come up with your own solution to this problem.